Smoothies are perfect both pre and post exercise depending on the ingredients.
Pre-exercise – add some oats, chia seeds or quinoa for a slow release carbohydrate.
Post-exercise – add some protein, such as nuts and seeds, to help aid muscle recovery.
Ingredients (serves one):
- 1 banana
- 140g of fruit (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, cherries, pomegranate seeds, grapes, plums, peaches, papaya, apricots, oranges, nectarines, persimmons, apples, pineapple, watermelon, melon, lychees, star fruit, dragon fruit, figs, mangosteen)
- 1 date (chopped)
- 150ml coconut water (or just plain water or milk)
- 1 tsp honey
- OPTIONAL: Add 50g of your favourite carbohydrate (oats, chia seeds, quinoa) or 50g of your favourite protein (nuts and seeds)
Step 1: Slice the banana into the blender.
Step 2: Add the fruit of your choice plus one chopped date for sweetness.
Step 3: Add the coconut water, honey and any of your optional extras.
Step 4: Whizz until smooth!
Oats are the perfect slow release carb to fuel your training routine. A great pre-exercise snack that will keep you going!
- 100g porridge oats
- 300ml milk (cow’s milk, coconut milk or almond milk)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract or the seeds from 1 vanilla pod
- 25g chia seeds
- 25g pumpkin seeds
- 25g sunflower seeds
- 300g blueberries
- 50g flaked almonds
- Honey (to taste)
Step 1: Mix the oats, milk, vanilla, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds
together and leave to soak for 20 minutes. Add a little water if the consistency is too dry.
Step 2: Add the blueberries, almonds, and honey to sweeten.
Step 3: You can serve this dish hot or cold! If you want your porridge hot, microwave for two minutes or warm thoroughly in a pan.
A great on-the-go snack if you take it ‘dry’ and a super breakfast if you add milk!
- 150g oats
- 20g coconut oil
- 60ml maple syrup or Manuka honey
- 50g pumpkin seeds
- 50g sunflower seeds
- 30g flaxseeds
- 100g Brazil nuts
- 50g dried goji berries
- 70g dried cranberries
- 1 vanilla pod
Step 1: Preheat oven to 180°C.
Step 2: Mix all the ingredients together and toss until fully coated with coconut oil and maple syrup.
Step 3: Spread the mixture over a baking tray lined with grease-proof paper.
Step 4: Bake for 10-12 minutes.
Step 5: Once baked, break apart into bite-size chunks.
Step 6: Store in an airtight container for 2-3 weeks.