Muc-Off is committed to protecting the privacy of the data we hold about you,
This policy is intended to demonstrate to our customers and website users our firm commitment to the privacy of personal data and compliance with the current data protection laws in Europe.
We respect the security and confidentiality of your private data and will never sell it to third parties, whether for marketing or any other purposes.
In the case of our employees and applicants for work, we operate a separate policy which can be accessed here.
Who are we?
Muc-Off is the trading name for Muc-Off Limited and we are the data controller for your personal data held by us. We are a company registered in England and Wales under number 05412872 and our registered office is shown below.
Our data protection officer is Andy Moore. He can be contacted at email@example.com;
Muc-Off is committed to protecting any personal information that you may provide to us and we believe it is important that you know how we treat the information about you that we may receive from this website.
1st Floor, Unit 1
Concept Office ParkInnovation Close
BH12 4QT UK
What information do we collect?
When you use Muc-Off’s website we collect certain personally-identifiable information, this will depend on what part of the website you are using such as
- When you make a purchase we will collect personal information such as your email address, name and address and credit card details.
- If you register for Muc-Off’s newsletters we will collect your email address and use this to notify you of new products, competitions, special offers and relevant service information. You can opt out at any time by simply clicking on the unsubscribe link that can be found at the bottom of all our emails to opt out.
- We use marketing data which that is obtained through your interactions with our website and marketing communication such as email where we collect information such as whether you open the email or click on the links.
- Should you purchase an item online we will use the website to collect personal information such as your email address, name and address and details of the item purchased.
- When registering you for any loyalty scheme or loyalty card we may operate we may request additional information such as your address and contact details, details of your occupation and/ or Date of Birth.
- When taking part in any competitions, prize draws or surveys that have been created by Muc-Off, we will collect your name, email address and mailing address, and the answers to all questions that we have asked. If you win the competition or prize draw, we will send the prize to the address entered and notify you by email unless we state otherwise. When you enter the competition or prize draw, you are also included in our marketing email list to receive details of promotions, new products, and new additions to the website, unless stated otherwise on the competition page. You may unsubscribe from Muc-Off’s email Newsletter by clicking on the unsubscribe link in any email that you receive.
- In the event that you do not register or buy on Muc-Off’s website, we and our third party partners who provide advertisements and content may collect information, for example where you are on the internet (e.g. the website address you came from, IP address, domain types) and technical information such as your browser type and the pages of the Muc-Off website that you viewed during your visit.
What do we do with the information we collect?
All of the personal information that we collect will be stored on our own secure servers, and treated as completely confidential. Your data is used for a variety of reasons such as:
- Using your personal details to process your order or provide order status updates, and to respond to your customer service queries.
- We use this information to help us with the general running of the website, make improvements, fix technical issues, personalise your experience based on your hobbies and interests, and to speed up future visits such as log in and saved items in the basket.
- We may use this information to provide content or advertising to you on Muc-Off’s website and third party websites with the aim of providing a more personalised experience based on your preferences and browsing history.
- We may pass your personal information to third parties who help us to maintain, administer or develop our website, or help us to provide the products available on our website. If so, that information is only given to those third parties for that limited purpose. This includes reputable banking institutions where information needed to verify and authorise your payment for purchases made on this website, and distribution institutions that need information to process and deliver your order. These organisations are under strict obligation to keep your personal information private, and will only ever use your information for the above purposes.
- We may also use this information for market research, analysis and developing statistics to get an understanding of business performance and our customer profile to see how we can better serve our customers and improve business performance.
- We may use information for the management and auditing of our business operations including accounting.
- You should be aware that if we are requested by the police or any other regulatory or government authority investigating suspected illegal activities to provide your Personal Information and /or User Information, we are entitled do so.
What if you do not provide personal data?
You are under no statutory or contractual obligation to provide data to Muc-Off when buying from us or using our website. However, if you do not provide the information, we may not be able to process your request properly or at all.
How we approach Data Security?
Muc-Off respects the privacy of its customers’ personal data and is committed to complying with all applicable laws relating to the protection of personal data. All of the personal information that we collect will be stored on secure servers, and treated as completely confidential.
To prevent unauthorised access to your data, we follow the appropriate security procedures in the storage and disclosure of personal information which you have given to us.
You can help preserve your privacy by ensuring that your password that you use to access password protect areas contains a mixture of lower and upper case letters, along with numbers. You should never share your password with anyone else, and always log out of your account if you are using a public computer.
We only accept transactions through web browsers that allow communication through Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology, so that your order is processed on a secure connection. Credit card details are processed through our merchant service providers, where your credit card information is encrypted so that it remains protected and private as it is processed through the internet
Why is the Data Collected?
We collect your personal data in order to provide access to our products and services and integrate our products more closely with your needs.
The primary legal basis for processing your personal data is contractual, to allow us to prepare for and carry out and administer the contracts and business transactions agreed between you and Muc-Off.
In addition, we may also process your personal data on the basis of our legitimate interest in carrying out marketing activities and developing new products or services. However, we will only send you marketing communications if you have told us it is okay to do so.
By using Muc-Off’s website you acknowledge and agree that:
- If you do not want us to use your personal data for marketing purposes please ensure that you untick/tick the relevant boxes situated in the account creation and purchasing process. If at any time you have given permission for us to use your data for marketing purposes and you would like to revoke this permission, you can unsubscribe at any time by clicking on the unsubscribe link in any Muc-Off marketing emails, or by contacting us through the contact addresses shown above.
How long do we retain your personal information?
Unless we advise otherwise, we will hold your personal information based on the following criteria:
- A reasonable business need exists such as managing our relationship with you, managing our operations and performing analysis and auditory tasks.
- We continue to provide purchased goods or services to you such as our loyalty program unless we are instructed otherwise.
Our data retention periods are normally six years which we consider to be in line with legal and regulatory requirements/guidance.
What are your rights under data protection laws?
All individuals have rights under the data protection laws, some of which do not apply in all cases. Should you wish to exercise these rights, we will explain after the point of contact on whether they can be used or not.
As an individual you have:
1) The right to be informed about the processing of your personal information
2) The right to have your personal information corrected if it is inaccurate
3) The right to have incomplete personal information completed
4) The right to object to processing of your personal information
5) The right to restrict processing of your personal information
6) The right to have your personal information erased (the “right to be forgotten”)
7) The right to request access to your personal information and to obtain information about how we process it
8) The right to move, copy or transfer your personal information. The right or data portability is effective from 25 May 2018
9) Rights in relation to automated decision making which has a legal effect or otherwise significantly affects you
You have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office which enforces data protection laws: https://ico.org.uk. You can contact us using the details below.
How do I opt out?
We provide users with the opportunity to opt-out of receiving unsolicited communications from us. Users can use the “unsubscribe” option on any email you receive from Muc-Off, or email us on the "contact" page. You can also write to us at our address shown in this policy or call us at +44 (0)1202 307790 during our normal office hours.
Links to Third Party Sites
Muc-Off occasionally provides links to third party sites that will connect users to external websites operated by third parties.
Our website, like most, uses a number of cookies to improve our service for users of our website. A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that we put on your computer if you agree. These cookies allow us to distinguish you from other users of our website, which helps us to provide you with a good experience when you browse our website and also allows us to improve our site. The cookies we use are "analytical" cookies. They are provided by Google Analytics and allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around the site when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our website works, for example by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily. This data about your website use is not shared by Muc-Off with any third parties.
The information generated by the cookies about your use of the website (including your IP address) may be transferred to and stored by Google Analytics on servers in the USA, under secure conditions.
How do I get in contact if I have any questions?
What is the purpose and status of this policy?
This Privacy Notice is created to provide you with information about our processing of personal data which we are required to supply to you and in line with the following pieces of legislation:
- General Data Protection Regulation (2016/679 EU)
- Data Protection Act 2018
- Privacy of Electronic Communications Regulations
We may change this notice and policy from time to time by posting the changed version on our website. You are advised to look at the policy periodically to check for changes and updates.
This policy does not create a legally binding contract or any obligations on us which are additional to our obligations under the current data protection legislation.
This version was last updated on 24th May 2018.
This notice will apply on and from the 25th May 2018.